Using GIS in PostgreSQL
I have been a PostgreSQL administrator since 2002 and have worked for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center for the last 10+ years. Within Fred Hutch, I work for the largest group called SCHARP, Statistical Center for HIV/AIDS Research and Prevention.
In 2010 I started SeaPUG, Seattle Postgres Users Group, at the request of Josh Drake. I present at least half the presentations there every year. I started the PostgreSQL track at LinuxFest Northwest in 2014 after my GIS presentation in 2013 was standing room only. In 2017 I got a booth at the SeaGL, Seattle GNU Linux, conference with the idea of having a booth there in 2018 along with also doing a PostgreSQL presentation at the conference. In 2017 I started presenting at various PostgresConf Conferences.
I have also discovered several PostgreSQL bugs which have been fixed, some of them affected every version of PostgreSQL.
- 7553 - Variant of the what alias to use after a rename bug in views - Fixed in 9.3
- 8173 - Inserting heap tuples in bulk in COPY patch return wrong line on failure 999 out of 1000 times. - Fixed in 9.2.5 & 9.3
- 8257 - Multi-Core Restore fails when containing index comments - Fixed in 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
- 8291 - postgres_fdw does not re-read USER MAPING after change - Updated Docs in 9.3
- 8545 - pg_dump does not backup database level globals - Fixed in 11
- 15182 - Major Bug - Patch in the works for all versions of PostgreSQL aka 9.3 - 10
- 15316 - Creation of check constraint functions that rely on data loaded alphabetically after your primary data will fail to restore properly.
I host the Seattle Postgres Users Group where I give many of the presentations. I have many of the presentations posted at Lloyd's Presentations
No video of the event yet, sorry!
In this presentation we will go over the old school math and the new school PostGIS method of doing the same math for calculating the distance and cost of an aircraft flight. You will notice how much easier it is to use PostGIS.
- Installing PostGIS
- Cloud Solutions
- From Source
- Aviation Math
- Airplane Performance
- Great Circle Math
- PostGIS Math
- Updating your tables to make GIS faster
- Oh how easy it is to read and write GIS
- Adding per Passenger Taxes
- Adding Airport Taxes
- 50 min
- PGConf Local: Austin [PgConf.US]