High Availability and Automatic Failover in PostgreSQL
Avinash Vallarapu (Avi) is the CEO and Co-founder of MigOps, Inc. Before joining MigOps, Avi worked as a Global Services Lead and Product Owner for PostgreSQL services at Percona, Database Architect at OpenSCG and Dell. Avi has a great expertise on Migrations to PostgreSQL. He has a vast experience in technologies like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and MongoDB for the last 2 decades. He is an avid Python and Golang developer. He has co-authored multiple books on PostgreSQL : Beginning PostgreSQL on Cloud and PostgreSQL 13 Cookbook.
He spoke at various PostgreSQL Conferences in the past including -
- PGCONF India - 2017/2019
- PGCON Ottawa 2018
- Percona Live Frankfurt 2018
- Postgres Conference New York 2019
- Percona Live Texas 2019
- Postgres Open Florida 2019
- Postgres Conference Silicon Valley 2019
- Percona Live Amsterdam 2019
- PGCONF India 2020, New York, Percona Live and some more conferences.
His areas of expertise are PostgreSQL Migrations, Training and Consulting.
No video of the event yet, sorry!
PostgreSQL is an advanced open source database that is completely community driven. Continuous development and performance improvements while making it feature rich gave PostgreSQL a great market penetration. When a database server is deployed in production, it is important to achieve several 9's of availability. It starts with a replication setup that is stable and some tool that could manage a failover transparent to application. This talk starts with a list of replication types in PostgreSQL followed by a detailed understanding of some of the widely used open source tools for high availability and automatic failover in PostgreSQL.
** Following topics will be discussed during this talk - **
- 1. How the implementation of HA differs for each type of replication available in PostgreSQL
- 2. How to combine HAproxy with etcd plus a detailed explanation of the RAFT Algorithm for HA using Patroni.
- 3. What is Patroni, pgpool-II and repmgr and how can they be helpful.
- 4. Some other tools admins may wish to explore.
- 5. What are the tools and solutions that help you achieve automatic failover in AWS and other cloud-based environments.
- 6. How to avoid huge data loss during failover.
- 2019 September 20 11:10 PDT
- 50 min
- Winchester (1)
- Silicon Valley 2019
- Ops and Administration