Using FDW Like Never Before
``` Henrietta Dombrovskaya is a database researcher and developer with over 35 years of academic and industrial experience. She holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Saint Petersburg, Russia. At present she is
- A Senior Cloud Consultant at Enterprise DB
- Local Organizer of the Chicago PostgreSQL User Group
- Active community member, a frequent speaker at the PostgreSQL Conferences
- A researcher focused on developing efficient interactions between applications and databases; publications include Proceedings of EDBT 2014 Athens, ICDE 2016 in Helsinki, and SOFSEM 2020 Limassol
- A winner of the “Technologist of the Year” 2019 award of the Illinois Technology Association
- An author of PostgreSQL Query Optimization book ```
At Braviant Holdings we consider foreign data wrappers to be the best thing even introduced in PostgreSQL. We use them virtually everywhere, both for our apps which interact with OLTP databases and for the ETL for our Data Warehouse.
One of the best things about using the FDW is that they allow you to map objects of various types. You can map tables, views, other foreign tables, you can use indexes remotely/ You can even map a query!
But what about mapping functions? Strictly speaking, there is no way, but as usual, when there is a will, there is a way.
In this talk we will show how ability to call the functions remotely assisted our transition from the legacy system to the newly designed service-based framework and allowed to maintain the data accuracy and consistency.
- 2019 March 20 09:00 EDT
- 20 min
- Riverside Suite
- Postgres Conference