Getting Stuff done with PostGIS and pgRouting
Leo Hsu is a master database architect with extensive experience building business intelligence and automation applications for flight management, labor unions, and economic optimization apps. He has over 20 years professional experience working for non-profits and Dot coms developing automated pricing and process applications and devising workflow strategies.
He is a PostgreSQL aficionado and author. He is a co-author with his wife, Regina Obe, on several PostgreSQL related books: PostGIS In Action (now in it's 2nd edition with 3rd edition in the works) (Manning Publications), PostgreSQL Up and Running (now in 3rd edition)(O'Reilly Media), pgRouting: A Practical Guide (Locate Press, 2nd edition in works), and upcoming big book of PostgreSQL in the works (No Starch Press).
Regina Obe is a world-renowned PostGIS spatial database expert and connoisseur of all things PostgreSQL. She has over 20 years professional experience in various programming languages and database systems. She is a member of the PostGIS project steering committee, the PostGIS core development team, pgRouting development team, and Geometry Open Source Library (GEOS) development and project steering committees.
She is a co-author of several PostgreSQL related books with her husband, Leo Hsu:
- PostGIS in Action (2nd edition, 3rd edition in the works), published by Manning Publications,
- PostgreSQL: Up and Running, (now in 3rd Edition), published by O'Reilly Media,
- pgRouting: A Practical Guide (publisher, LocatePress).
She and Leo are currently working on an upcoming PostgreSQL book (publisher: No Starch Press).
No video of the event yet, sorry!
This training will teach you how to use PostGIS related extensions to answer questions about WHERE and HOW TO GET THERE with data. The main focus will be on the postgis and pgrouting extensions as well as tools for loading spatial data. We will also cover techniques for getting the most performance out of your spatial and routing queries. Though most queries will also work on lower versions, we will be using PostgreSQL 12, PostGIS 3 , and pgRouting 3. We will highlight functions/spatial tricks not available in lower versions of these tools.
- Introduction to different spatial types geometry (2D and nD), geography, raster, topogeometry
- Spatial coordinate transformations
- Where to get Free data
- Creating spatial tables and populating with SQL Loading spatial data with psql, ogr_fdw, raster2pgsql, shp2pgsql, and ogr2ogr
- Making non-spatial data spatial (Where as the universal key)
- Sample questions that PostGIS helps you answer
- Viewing results visually with pgAdmin4 and OpenJump
- What is pgRouting? Creating routing and node tables using SQL Using osm2pgrouting
- Prepping other spatial data for routing
- Key pgRouting algorithms and what each is used for.
- Spatial queries Viewing routing results visually with OpenJump, pgAdmin4, and QGIS.
- 2020 March 26 14:00
- 3 h
- Postgres Conference 2020
- Data Science
- Requires Registration:
- Yes (Registered: 0/30)