Introduction to PostgreSQL for Oracle and MySQL DBAs
Avinash Vallarapu (Avi) is the CEO and Co-founder of MigOps, Inc. Before joining MigOps, Avi worked as a Global Services Lead and Product Owner for PostgreSQL services at Percona, Database Architect at OpenSCG and Dell. Avi has a great expertise on Migrations to PostgreSQL. He has a vast experience in technologies like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and MongoDB for the last 2 decades. He is an avid Python and Golang developer. He has co-authored multiple books on PostgreSQL : Beginning PostgreSQL on Cloud and PostgreSQL 13 Cookbook.
He spoke at various PostgreSQL Conferences in the past including -
- PGCONF India - 2017/2019
- PGCON Ottawa 2018
- Percona Live Frankfurt 2018
- Postgres Conference New York 2019
- Percona Live Texas 2019
- Postgres Open Florida 2019
- Postgres Conference Silicon Valley 2019
- Percona Live Amsterdam 2019
- PGCONF India 2020, New York, Percona Live and some more conferences.
His areas of expertise are PostgreSQL Migrations, Training and Consulting.
This tutorial is focused on teaching PostgreSQL to professionals that are already experienced with Oracle or MySQL. As we discuss from basics, even a beginner may adapt the concepts easily. Relational databases share a lot of similar concepts. You may find it easier if we help you relate the concepts of PostgreSQL with Oracle/MySQL. Thus, we would start with PostgreSQL Architecture for Oracle/MySQL DBAs.
The approach we take with this tutorial is to present an overview of the PostgreSQL architecture and operation in view of MySQL's and Oracle's. We'll mix lecture with hands-on work, having the audience apply the concepts we present in practice in a lab format before covering new ones, starting with a simple and quick installation of PostgreSQL and going all the way to setup and maintain a stand by replica. By the end of the day attendees shall walk away from this tutorial with a good understanding of how PostgreSQL works and feel confident enough about it.
Following are the main points being discussed in this tutorial :
- Brief history of PostgreSQL and its features
- PostgreSQL Architecture for MySQL/Oracle DBAs and beginners.
- Installation of PostgreSQL
- Creating/Start/Stop a PostgreSQL Cluster and the components of a Data Directory
- PostgreSQL parameters/settings you need to know
- PostgreSQL User Management
- MVCC in PostgreSQL
- VACUUM and Transaction ID Wraparound in PostgreSQL
- Types of Indexes
- EXPLAIN in PostgreSQL
- Logical and Physical Backups and PITR
- Streaming replication
Declarative Partitioning in PostgreSQL 11.
P.S. Slides Attached here are just prepared in a couple of hours. It will be much better by the day we present it.
- 2019 March 18 09:00 EDT
- 7 h
- Postgres Conference
- Ops and Administration